- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 7 cups thinly sliced pared apples
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup crushed nuts of your choice
- 1 double-crust pie shell
*Fancy Pie Paint
- egg white
- egg yolk
- food color
- paint brush
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour and spices; set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with rhubarb.
- Add sugar mixture; toss well to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie pan with half the pastry.
- Place apple filling into crust; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining crust to fit top of pie.
- * Cut if desired into strips and weave them on top of pie.
- * Combine egg white with desired color, and then the same for the egg yolk.
- * Paint
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 minutes. Increase temperature to 400 degrees F and bake 10-15 minutes more or until golden.